A while ago, Google released an interesting extension for Chrome that lets you copy links that lead directly to a piece of text on a webpage. This is a very useful feature, especially if you are trying to share a particular part of a long article with someone. However, if you’re using a Chromebook, you can also get this feature to work on your Chrome browser natively. Here’s how to enable it and how to copy a link to text in Chrome OS.
Learn how to copy a link to text in Chrome OS
The copy link to text feature isn’t enabled by default on Chrome OS, and Google is sort of testing it as an experiment with Chrome OS 87, so the first thing to do is make sure you’ve updated update your Chromebook to Chrome OS 87. Once you’ve done that, just follow our step-by-step instructions to get the feature up and running.
Enable Copy Link to Text Feature in Chrome OS
We will be using a Chrome flag to enable this particular feature in Chrome OS.
- In Chrome, go to chrome://flags to access all available Chrome flags for your system.
- Right here, search ‘copy link to text’ in the search bar. Change the status of the default flag to “Enabled”.
- Restart your Chromebook by clicking/tapping the “Restart” button at the bottom right of your screen.
That’s it, the feature is now enabled on Chrome OS and you can start using it.
How to Use Copy Link to Text in Chrome OS
Now that the feature is up and running, let’s see how to use it.
- Go to any web page from which you want to copy the link. For example, I use one of our articles on the Beebom site.
- Select the text to which you want to redirect the link.
- Now right click to open the context menu. You should see a new “copy link to text” option here. Click on it to copy the link into the text.
- When you (or someone you send the link to) open this link, it opens the webpage and highlights the text you selected when creating the link, as you can see below. Pretty cool, right?
Easily copy links to text in Chrome OS
Using hyperlinks that lead to particular pieces of text within a web page is something I use a lot. It’s a very useful little feature that often comes in handy. Hope this article also helped you to enable the feature on your Chromebook and now you are using it to share more targeted links with people. Even though the steps mentioned here are quite simple, if you face any issues with the feature, let us know in the comments.