In the quest for full home screen customization, I’ve taken almost all sorts of routes. From creating custom app icons to creating amazing themes to creating eye-catching widgets, I did everything to make my iOS 14 home screen stand out. Still, I felt that I was missing something very important that could allow me to design the home screen with better control. And that’s how I came up with the idea of creating invisible widgets for the iPhone home screen.
Create Transparent Home Screen Widgets on iPhone
Let’s ask some basic questions before we navigate through the quick steps!
So why would you make invisible widgets for the iPhone home screen?
Well, if you want to let your wallpaper shine with a bit more freedom or place app icons where you want them, transparent widgets can have a definite role to play. By being invisible, they ensure that the wallpaper can showcase its design. And by covering up unwanted places, transparent widgets help your app icons adapt to specific places.
What are the requirements to create transparent widgets for the iPhone home screen?
In this guide, we are going to use a widget app to create invisible home screen widgets. Out of a handful of apps, TWid and Yidget are my favorites because they work reliably and are available for free. As the process is quite similar, you can choose one of these two widget apps to start with. I will use Yidget to create transparent widgets.
Make sure to download the widget app on your iPhone before proceeding with the steps.
- To start, put nice wallpaper on your iPhone. You can do this from the Settings app or the Photos app. Just head to the Photos app -> Select the desired photo -> Share button -> Use as wallpaper.
2. Now, touch and hold the empty area of the screen.
3. Then press the “+” button displayed in the upper left corner of the screen.
4. Next, scroll all the way down and choose Yidget.
5. Next, select the preferred widget size and press Add widget.
6. Place the invisible widget in the desired location. If you want to add more transparent widgets, repeat steps 3. In the end, be sure to press Do in the upper right corner of the screen.
Use transparent widgets to design your iPhone home screen
Now that you know how to create invisible widgets, use them as you wish to design your device’s home screen. Place transparent widgets where you want to leave empty, then position app icons according to your theme design.
Do you have any feedback to share with us? It would be nice to have it in the comments below. Also, if you come across such a cool widget app, let us know as well.