While personalization on iPhone starts with home screen widgets, personalization on Apple Watch starts from watch faces. Slowly but steadily, watchOS has built up a solid library of cool watch faces. From fun Memoji to hilarious mickey mouse to eye-catching photo watch face, you have a variety of watch faces to try. And with a ton of complications on offer, you can hone your favorite Apple Watch face to your liking. If you’re ready to get started on the right note, let me show you how to customize Apple Watch faces like a pro.
Customize Apple Watch Faces in watchOS 7 or Later: Ultimate Guide
Customizing Apple Watch faces has never been so exciting before. Unlike before, most watch faces come with a variety of complications to allow you to customize your watch face. Moreover, there are many third-party apps that offer well-designed watch face complications. So depending on your needs, you can choose to display weather, activity, battery life, date and more on a watch face to keep an eye on the things that matter to you, straight from your wrist.
How to customize watch faces directly from Apple Watch
You don’t need to look anywhere else to start customizing the watch face.
- To start, press the digital crown to jump to the watch face. After that, touch and hold the display.
2. Next, swipe left/right to select the desired watch face. Then press Edit.
3. Next, swipe left/right to choose a preferred feature. After that you can turn the digital crown to change it.
4. Now, swipe all the way to the left to customize Apple Watch face complications. Then press a complication to choose it. Again, turn the digital crown to change it.
- You should see the name of the section being adjusted at the top of the screen. Additionally, it will also be illuminated in the main artwork, making it a bit easier to understand what you’re doing.
- The dots on the side will let you know where you are in the list of options. When you change the color, it will indicate what the dot will do on the face of the Apple Watch. Keep in mind that it varies depending on watch faces.
- If a particular watch face has a variety of colors, you’ll have the option to cycle through different color themes.
- Note that complications are not available for all styles.
- Note that you will find your custom complications in the Complications section when customizing a watch face (more on that later).
5. Once you have customized the Apple Watch face perfectly, press the digital crown to save your changes. Then press the watch face to set it as your current face.
How to Customize Watch Faces Using iPhone
You can also customize watch faces using the Watch app on your iPhone. The process is just as simple.
- Start the Watch app on your iPhone, then tap the My watch tab. Under the my faces section, you should see all of your selected watch faces. Next, tap the watch face you want to customize.
- If you want to add more watch faces to your favorites list, tap the Face Gallery. Next, select a watch face, then tap the To add to include it in your My Faces list.
2. Now you have a ton of tools to slim down your Apple Watch face. For example, you can choose the desired color, a nice symbol and also choose from the available complications. So, try a variety of options to give your Apple Watch face a fully customized look. Keep in mind that customization options vary by watch face.
3. Once you have customized the watch face, scroll down and tap the Set as current watch face option. So ! This newly created watch face will immediately appear as the current watch face on your Apple Watch.
How to Set Photo as Apple Watch Face Using iPhone
For a more personalized experience, I like to set a photo as an Apple Watch face. And I bet you would love every part of this custom watch face too.
- Start the Photo app on your iPhone and select the photo you want to set as your Apple Watch face. After that press the Share button in the lower left corner of the screen.
2. Now choose the Create a watch face option.
3. Next, select the type of watch face you want to create. You have the choice between two options: Photo watch dial and kaleidoscope Watch Face (it uses either an embedded photo or a featured photo to create a colorful image in one of three different styles). I will choose Photo Watch Face.
4. Now use all available complications to customize your Apple Watch Face Photo. When you’re done, press To add. That’s it, your photo watch face will instantly appear on your Apple Watch.
How to Set a Photo as a Watch Face Using Apple Watch
Setting a photo as a watch face using Apple Watch is a breeze.
- press the digital crown to access the watch face, then press firmly.
2. Now swipe left from the right to access the option to add “+” a new face. Then tap on it.
3. Next, swipe down to find Pictures option and press it. Now your Apple Watch will display a different image from the Photo Library each time you raise your wrist.
- Note that you may need to choose a photo album in the Watch app on your iPhone. Just open the Watch app on your iPhone -> Face Gallery -> Pictures. Next, select a beautiful album and then customize the watch face.
- When you’re happy with the customization, tap To add to finish. Now you should see this newly created watch face on your list.
How to Create Custom Apple Watch Complications
If you want to go even further in customizing watch faces, create custom Apple Watch complications to suit your style. There are plenty of third-party apps that let you create custom complications that you can set to dynamically change throughout the day. For example, it will show the weather in the morning and show your activity in the evening.
Among a handful of options, I found Watchsmith (from the makers of the iOS 14 Widgetsmith home screen widget, available for free with in-app purchases), Watchmaker (free, offers in-app purchases) and Watch Complications Pro (free, offers in-app purchases) very impressive.
Creating an Apple Watch complication is as easy as creating a home screen widget. To offer a little insight into how it works, I’ll show you the process using Watchmaker. Simply open the app, then select the desired complication for a specific watch face. Like infographic circle is my favorite, I’ll get it.
Then, customize the complication using all available tools and save it.
Now, when editing that particular watch face, you will have the option to add your custom complication.
Adjust Apple Watch faces to your liking
Here! This is how you can customize watch faces. Now that you know how the whole process works, take the opportunity to create awesome Apple Watch faces and customize them using a ton of available tools like Complications. Since there are plenty of apps out there that offer complications, chances are you’ll always have something really cool to add to your favorite watch faces.