Mozilla Firefox is probably the most customizable web browser in terms of aesthetics and functionality, but Google Chrome is catching up fast. The Chromium-based Edge has lagged its two established rivals so far, but Microsoft recently infused its latest browser with all-new customization features. The browser has now also been updated with a ‘color theme picker‘ which allows you to customize its look and feel. So here’s how to customize Microsoft Edge with the new color theme picker.
Customize Microsoft Edge with Color Theme Picker
Color Theme Picker for Edge Chromium is only available in the Canary Channel for the moment. And it’s hidden behind an Edge flag and needs to be manually enabled. Note that even if you are running the stable version of the browser on your PC, you can still install the Canary channel without erasing the existing version.
This means that you can use two versions of the program simultaneously on your computer. So you can simply follow the guide below to customize Microsoft Edge on your PC.
1. First, download Edge Chromium (Canary Channel) on the official Microsoft Edge Insider website (To free).
2. To activate the color theme picker, type (or copy+paste) edge://flags in the browser’s address bar and press “Enter”.
3. Now type (or copy+paste) #edge-color-theme-picker in the flags search bar and enable the option from the drop-down menu as shown below.
4. Restart the browser and type edge://settings/appearance in the address bar. Press “Enter”. You will immediately be presented with a number of options to change the look of your browser.
5. From here you can customize the default Microsoft Edge theme and choose your accent color. As you can see, I currently have the orange theme enabled on my browser.
Customize Microsoft Edge Chromium with Accent Colors
The color theme picker in Microsoft Edge Chromium lets you choose a default color for the browser, change the accent color at the top of the browser, and the highlight color for each new tab you open. This is still a work in progress and the options available are limited to a handful of choices. However, it should have more options in the future. So download Edge Canary, choose your own color scheme using the color theme picker and let us know your opinion about it by leaving a comment below.