macOS 12 Monterey was unveiled today with some notable new features at WWDC 2021. While the focus is on improving seamless gameplay between iOS and macOS as well as enhancing security and privacy, Apple has added a good mix of features to explore in the latest iteration of macOS. As usual, the Cupertino giant has released the macOS 12 beta to developers for testing purposes. So, if you want to check out the new features, follow us on how to download and install the macOS 12 Monterey developer beta.
How to download and install macOS 12 beta
First, make sure you have an active Apple Developer Account ($99/year), as participating in the beta program is a must. Another thing you should definitely check is to make sure that you have backed up all your data safely. Since beta software is usually unstable due to random bugs, I recommend using a secondary device to test macOS 12 beta. As for compatibility, macOS 12 would support 2014 or later Macs.
macOS lets you easily back up your data using Time Machine. Just launch System Preferences and choose Time Machine. Now enable Time Machine and then click on Select Backup Disk option. After that, select the disk you want to use. Time Machine will then format your hard drive for backups and start backing up immediately. After taking care of the basics, let’s start with the quick steps!
How to Download macOS 12 Monterey Developer Beta
The macOS developer beta download process is as easy as it gets. Just follow the steps below.
- Open a browser on your Mac and go to developer.apple.com and login to your account. Then click on the Downloads section in the left sidebar.
2. After that, click on the “ Install profile” located right next to the macOS Monterey beta.
3. Next, open the “ Downloads” using the Finder and choose macOS 12 Developer Beta Access Utility.
4. Next you need to double-click macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.pkg to run the installer.
Once the installer is downloaded, System Preferences will automatically check for the latest update. Then you can click “Update” to download the macOS 12 developer beta software. After the software download is complete, the installation process will start normally.
To note: If the macOS 12 Monterey developer beta does not appear in the list of updates, restart your Mac. After that, launch the Mac App Store and click on the Updates tab.
How to Install the macOS 12 Monterey Developer Beta
Once the macOS Monterey beta is downloaded, you will be prompted to install the software automatically.
1. To begin the installation process, click To continue.
2. Now accept Apple’s Terms and Conditions and click Continue to continue.
3. Then click on To install. After that, enter the administrator password and press Install the software.
4. Next, follow the instructions to install macOS 12 Monterey beta. Click on ” Update now ” to start.
Keep in mind that your Mac will restart to install macOS 12. During the installation, you will see a black screen with the Apple logo and a progress bar on your Mac. As the process will take some time, you will need to be patient for the process to complete peacefully.
So ! You will now be taken to the home screen of macOS 12. Now it’s time to dig deeper to find out all that the brand new macOS has offered.
Discover the new features of macOS 12 Monterey
Well, that’s about it! Hope you have the brand new macOS 12 Monterey on your Mac. Note that we have also created guides on how to install the iOS 15 developer beta. So if you want to try out the latest version of iOS as well, be sure to follow our guide. As I will also be digging deeper to explore macOS 12 and iOS 15, stay tuned for new hidden and exciting features. If you come across anything awesome, be sure to let me know as well.