After WhatsApp rolled out the new privacy changes, things took a crazy turn for the world. People are migrating to Signal and Telegram to have better privacy guarantees. While the transition is for the right reasons – as we noted in our WhatsApp vs Telegram vs Signal comparison – it’s also important to make some changes on our end. Two-factor verification is one such security measure that you should enable to protect your account. We have already written a guide on how to enable 2FA on Signal, and here we will show how to enable two-step verification on Telegram. So on that note, let’s get started.
Activate two-step verification on Telegram (2021)
1. First, tap the hamburger menu located in the top left corner and open “ Settings“.
2. Next, open “ Privacy and Securityand tap “Two-Step Verification”.
3. Now tap on “Set password” and create a password for two-step verification on Telegram. On the next page, you need to re-enter the password. Make sure you remember this password or better, write it down and keep it in a safe place.
4. After that you can give a hint in case you forget the password or you can skip this section right away.
5. Next, you will be asked to enter a recovery email for scenarios where you forgot the two-step verification password. If you are not comfortable sharing your email with Telegram, you can also skip this section. However, for general users, I would recommend providing an email for recovery, if things go wrong in the future.
6. Now open your email client and Enter verification code. This is done to validate your recovery email address.
7. Finally, you have activated the two-step verification on Telegram. From now on, if you log into your Telegram account on any new device, it will ask for your two-step verification password along with the one-time-use code (SMS) you received on your smartphone.
Activate 2FA on Telegram and protect your chats
This is how you can enable 2FA on Telegram and add an extra layer of security to your personal messages and chats. According to a study by Princeton University, sim swapping has become a real threat all over the world where impostors ask carriers to swap the phone number and carriers dutifully change the number without due diligence. So, to thwart such attempts, enabling 2FA is a must.
Anyway, it all comes from us. If you want to learn more about these Telegram tips and tricks, check out our linked article. Also read our article on switching from WhatsApp to Telegram to find out the best way to switch. And if you have any questions, let us know in the comments section below. We will surely try to help you.