The Windows 10 taskbar can get a bit overwhelming once you’ve pinned a lot of your essential apps. If you’re someone who needs the convenience of adding as many shortcuts as possible without sacrificing free space on your entire taskbar, there’s a new open-source app called Taskbar Groups. tasks” that you should not miss.
Group taskbar shortcuts on Windows 10
1. Download Taskbar Groups from GitHub. The app is light and weighs only 150 KB. After downloading the ZIP file, extract the ZIP file using one of the file extractors to access the executable file.
2. When you first open the app, the only option you will see is “Add a group to the taskbar”. Click on it to start creating shortcuts for your favorite programs.
3. On the page that now appears, you can add an icon for the group you are about to create. This icon will appear in your taskbar. You can also set the maximum width, ranging from 1 to 20. After setting the group icon, click “Add new shortcut” and choose the apps you want to add to the group.
4. Once you have added all the required apps, assign a name to the group, and click Save. In this case, I chose a few web browsers for faster access.
5. Shortly after clicking save, the app will save the group and take you to the homepage. Here you will find the group you just created. You should now click on the group to access the Shortcuts folder.
6. In the Shortcuts folder, right-click on the shortcut you just created and choose “Pin to taskbar”. Alternatively, you can also choose to pin the shortcut to the Start menu.
7. After pinning the shortcut to the taskbar, you will see a new entry in the taskbar with the group icon you assigned in step three. You can access all shortcuts grouped together by clicking on the icon. This way, you no longer have to worry about having multiple icons for the same app category on the taskbar.
Use Taskbar Shortcuts to Organize Taskbar in Windows 10
While I liked the idea of the app and the simplicity that comes with it, I have to say that the client app is quite simple at the moment. For example, you can’t rearrange apps or edit the list of shortcuts. At this point, you will need to create a new group in case you want to change the set of apps in the group. For what it’s worth, you can try to find out if this lightweight app fits right into your workflow. For more such tips, be sure to check out our article on the best Windows 10 tips and tricks.