One of the best features of Signal is that you can use it on your desktop, including Windows, macOS, Chrome OS, and Linux. I use Signal on my Chromebook and the experience has been flawless so far. The interesting part is that Signal on Chromebook works independently. It doesn’t matter if your smartphone is connected to the Internet or the common WiFi network, Signal works and also maintains end-to-end encryption. So if you want to install Signal on a Chromebook, check out our guide below.
Install Signal on a Chromebook (2021)
1. First, you need linux support before you can install Signal on your Chromebook. So, initially, you’re unlikely to install Signal on school-issued Chromebooks. Nevertheless, go ahead and check if your Chromebook is compatible with Linux and how to configure it.
To note: If you’re using Chrome OS 89 or later, “Linux (Beta)” appears as “Developers” on the Settings page.
2. Once you have configured Linux, open the terminal on your Chromebook and run the command below to update linux to the latest version. If you encounter an error in this process, don’t worry, just go to the next step.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y
3. After that run the below command to install signing key.
wget -O- https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt/keys.asc | sudo apt-key add –
4. Then run this command to add Signal’s repository in your Linux repository.
echo “deb [arch=amd64] https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt xenial main” | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list
5. Finally run the below command to install signal on your Chromebook.
sudo apt update && sudo apt install signal-desktop -y
6. After installation, open the app drawer and search for “ Linux apps“. It should be located on the last page.
7. Open it and you will find the Signal app. Now, open app.
8. Here you will be asked to link the Signal app on your smartphone using the QR code.
9. On your smartphone, open Signal and tap on the 3-dot menu. Here, open Settings -> Paired devices -> tap the “+” button. Now scan the QR code on your Chromebook, and voila, Signal on your Chromebook will be linked to your smartphone and all your messages will be synced to the Linux app.
10. This is what Signal looks like on a Chromebook. As I mentioned above, The signal works independently on Chromebook, which means you don’t need to be on a common Wi-Fi network with the linked smartphone. Also, unlike WhatsApp, your linked smartphone does not require an active internet connection.
Use Signal on your Chromebook now
This is how you can install and use Signal on your Chromebook. Although the controls may seem complex at first glance, you don’t have to worry about them. Just copy and paste the commands and you’re good to go. In case you want to know what advantage Signal brings over WhatsApp and Telegram, then go through our linked explainer. Either way, it’s all about us. If you found our article useful, comment below and let us know.