Windows 10 brought a number of improvements over its predecessors in terms of security, speed and connectivity, but it also angered power users by removing features available in previous versions or adding prompts and annoying advertisements throughout the operating system. So if you’re frustrated with unsolicited advertisements on your Windows 10 PC, you should check out our tutorial below to regain control of your computer.
To note: If you are tired of activating Windows watermark, see our article on how to get Windows 10 keys for free or cheaply to fix the problem.
How to Remove In-App Ads in Windows 10
All editions of Windows 10 include ads, but the good thing is that you can disable most of them permanently. So here’s how to remove ads from the Windows 10 Start menu, lock screen, File Explorer, and notification prompts. We’ll also walk you through how to disable Windows Advertising ID for increased privacy and turn off all distracting “Live Tiles” in the Start menu. You can click on the button below to access the subject of your choice.
Remove Windows 10 Start Menu Ads
1. To remove ads from the start menu, go to the “Settings” of Windows 10 by clicking on the lever icon in the start menu.
2. Next, click on ‘Personalization’.
3. Now choose ‘Start’ to customize the Start menu.
4. Finally, turn off the setting that says “Occasionally show suggestions in Start”.
That’s it. You have now successfully disabled all Start Menu ads.
Remove Windows 10 Lock Screen Ads
1. To get rid of ads on the lock screen, go to Settings > Personalization as previously described. Then click on “Lock screen”.
2. Now in the drop-down menu, set background to ‘Image’ or ‘Slideshow’ instead of Windows Spotlight.
3. You also need to disable the “Get fun facts, tips and more from Windows and Cortana on your lock screen” for more serenity.
Your Windows 10 lock screen is now free of ads, “tips” and “fun facts”.
Remove Ads from Windows 10 File Explorer
Microsoft introduced ads on File Explorer with the Creators Update in 2017, but relented following a massive user backlash. However, the option remains enabled by default, so it makes sense to disable it in case the company changes its mind.
1. To remove banner ads from Windows 10 File Explorer, click on the “View” tab as shown in the screenshot below.
2. Now click on ‘Options’ top right and to select “Change folder and search options”.
3. In the pop-up window (see below), click on the ‘View’ tab at the top.
4. Now scroll down and deselect “Show sync provider notifications”. Finally, click ‘Apply’ or ‘OK’ to apply the changes to your system.
You have now permanently banned ads from Windows 10 File Explorer.
Remove Notification Ads in Windows 10
1. To turn off notification ads (Microsoft calls them “suggestions”), go to Settings as previously described. Now click on ‘System’.
2. Next, select “Notifications and actions” on the left pane.
3. On the resulting screen, uncheck the option that says “Show me the Windows welcome experience…”.
Note: This option is presented as a toggle on some versions of Windows 10, so you will need to set the toggle to “Off” in this case. The rest of the process will remain the same.
4. You can also uncheck “Get tips, tricks and suggestions…” and disable it “Get notifications from apps and other senders” for an even cleaner Windows experience.
Disable Advertising ID in Windows 10 for Better Privacy
1. Windows 10 sends a unique advertising ID for each user to app developers and advertisers, but this is a privacy issue and should be permanently disabled. To do this, go to Settings > Privacy.
2. Click “General” and disable all toggles as seen in the screenshot below to ensure better privacy.
Bonus: How to Disable Live Tiles in Windows 10
The “Live Tiles” bundled with the Windows 10 Start Menu can also be a source of annoying ads. To deactivate them, right-click on such a tile and select “Detach from Start”.
Note that you can unpin all Start menu tiles, whether they are “Live” or not. This way, you’ll only be left with the “All apps” list on the left, but it’ll be a much cleaner and lighter Start menu, which many users prefer.
Remove all annoying ads from your Windows 10 PC
Windows 10 can be a great all-around operating system, but persistent ads strewn across the operating system can be a major annoyance for most users. However, following our guide above will help you banish most ads in Windows 10 permanently. So give it a try to improve your experience on your PC and let us know how it went.