If your PC is used by multiple users at home, you wouldn’t want them accessing your personal files. The problem is that even if you create a new user account on Windows 10, users can still access your hard drives. So, if you are looking for a way to restrict hard drive access to local accounts on Windows 10, follow our simple guide below. We used Group Policy to block access to the hard drive. So on that note, let’s get to the guide.
Restrict Hard Drive Access to Local Accounts in Windows 10 (2021)
1. First, press the “Windows” key once and type gpedit and open “Edit Group Policy” from the search result. If Group Policy isn’t showing up on your PC, you’re probably using Windows 10 Home. You can find out how to enable Group Policy on Windows 10 Home.
2. Next, under “User Configuration”, click on “Administrative Templates”, then expand the field “Windows components ” case.
3. Now under “Windows Components” find “File Explorer»And open it. In the right pane, find “Prevent access to drives from My Computer”.
4. Double click on it and a new window will open. Here, click on ” Enabledand choose “Restrict All Players” from the drop-down menu. Finally, click “OK” and you are done. No need to restart the computer.
5. Just switch to another user account and try to open the hard drive. You will get this error. you have it now restricted hard disk access successfully to local accounts on Windows 10.
6. To allow hard drive access from all user accounts, you just need to change the setting to “Not configured”. After that, click “OK” and that’s it.
Block Hard Drive Access in Windows 10
This is how you can restrict hard drive access to local accounts on Windows 10. I tested the feature on Windows 10 Insider Preview and it worked pretty well. If you want to restrict a specific player, you can choose it from the drop-down menu. Anyway, it all comes from us. For more Windows 10 tips and tricks, you can check out our linked article. And if you have any questions, let us know in the comments section below.