Having a nice custom background during video calls has (sort of) become a habit for me. What started out as a fun experience initially during Zoom video calls has become a very useful way to keep the real background out of sight. Whether it’s hiding unwanted people from the scene or preventing anyone from peeking into a not-so-attractive interior, a virtual background has a role to play. Beyond privacy, it adds a bit of luster to your personal chat, especially when chatting freely with loved ones. If that’s what you’re looking for, here’s how to set a custom background for Skype video calls.
Customize Background for Skype Video Calls on Mac, Windows, Linux, and Web
Remember that setting a virtual background on Skype video calls requires you to be running the latest version of the app (version 22.214.171.124 or later). So make sure to update the video call app on your computer before trying this feature.
Notably, Skype lets you customize the background for specific video calls and for everyone. If you love custom backgrounds and want them to appear for all your video calls, you can do that easily. But if you prefer to choose it according to your mood, it only takes a few clicks to get a funky background up and running.
Change the background for specific Skype video calls
- Launch Skype on your computer and start a video call as usual.
2. Now either click on the More menus (three dots) or hover over the video button.
3. Then click on Choose background effect.
4. Then you can add a new background image for the video call or choose the one you previously added. If you want to set your own image, click on the three dots and then press the “+” button. After that, choose your favorite image from the photo library.
So ! The change will take effect instantly, giving the background a whole new look.
To note: It should be noted that you also have the option of blurring the background. Just click on the fall out option to distract from the background.
Set up a custom background for all your Skype calls
- Launch Skype on your device and click on your profile picture.
2. Now click on the three points and choose Settings.
3. Then click on Audio Video.
4. Then you can choose to add new image as virtual background for your skype. Depending on your needs, you can also choose the image you added earlier.
If you want to set your own image as the background, click the button three points, then press the “+” button. After that, select the image you want to use as the background for your Skype video call. And yes, there is an option for blur the background for all video calls.
Use a virtual background for Skype video calls
That’s all we can say about it! Now that you know how to customize background effect for Skype video calls, take advantage of it to bring a lot of fun to your video calls. Along with adding a humor quotient, it can also be helpful in providing needed privacy.
Despite stiff competition from Zoom, FaceTime, WhatsApp, and Viber, Skype remains one of the most popular video calling apps. What do you think of Skype and what are the areas where it needs to improve to become even better.