Life is unpredictable, your health too. It is this unpredictable element that makes us concerned about the well-being of our loved ones and also compels us to monitor their well-being. To make health tracking a hassle-free experience for Apple device users, the Cupertino giant introduced “Health Sharing” in iOS 15. This means you can now track not only your health, but also stay forever informed of the status of your loved ones. To do. If you are curious to take advantage of this new iOS 15 feature, let me help you set up Health Sharing in iOS 15 on your iPhone.
How to Set Up Health Sharing in iOS 15 on iPhone
A well-thought-out feature like Health Sharing deserves careful consideration right off the bat. So, be sure to read what is Health Sharing in iOS 15 first before following the quick steps.
What is Health Sharing in iOS 15 and how does it work?
Health Sharing is designed to make it easy to share health data so you can keep your family, friends or caregiver up to date on your progress. You can also use it to track the health of your family members at the same time. Thanks to the hour alerts and changes over time, Health Sharing makes it easy for them to monitor your health.
For a seamless tracking experience, shared data appears directly in the dashboard. So if you or your family want to dive into the details to check important information and track health trends, they won’t have to dig deeper to retrieve the desired health information.
And when it’s essential to keep track of every subtle change, timely notifications can prove to be a lifesaver. It doesn’t matter if you are close to your loved ones or live far away, you can stay informed about their health and offer them the necessary advice or seek them out before it’s too late. Even as a caregiver who needs to keep a close eye on health changes, seamless health sharing in iOS 15 can come in really handy.
What type of health data can you share in iOS 15?
In iOS 15, the Health Sharing feature of the Apple Health app allows users to share certain types of health data. This includes:
- Sleep hours
- Falls detected
- Elevated heart rate
- Low heart rate
- Resting heart rate
- Average walking heart rate
- Irregular rhythm
- Minutes of exercise
- Walking and running distance
- Overview of the fertile window
- Headphone audio levels
Health app features in iOS 15 trend analysis for up to 20 data types, which makes it easy to check the progress of a given metric. Along with things like Mindful Minutes and increased running distance, Trends also help keep tabs on key health goals. The shared data consists of important information along with trends highlighted to provide a better perspective on a person’s well-being.
What about your privacy when using Health Sharing?
Health Sharing provides the desired granular control over what types of data you want to share and with whom. For more security, the data is encrypted during transmission to family and doctors and while it resides on your device locked with Face ID, Touch ID, or a passcode.
Additionally, you can also choose to stop sharing health data when it is no longer needed. If you ever stop sharing the data, iOS 15 will delete your health data stats from your friend’s device.
Health Sharing Requirements and Availability
First, make sure the person you want to share health data with is in your contact list. Also, make sure their device is also running iOS 15 or later. Currently, health sharing is only available in the United States. A wider rollout is expected later in 2021.
Share your health data with someone in iOS 15
With the basics out of the way, let’s take a look at how to set up Health Sharing in iOS 15 to track the wellbeing of your family members or friends. Follow the steps below:
- Start the Health app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Now go to the “Sharing” tab from the bottom navigation bar.
3. Then press share with someone.
4. Now, add your friend or family member from the Contacts application.
5. Then you have two options:
- See suggested topics: Choose this option to let the Health app display suggested categories based on available data. If you’re not sure what type of data you should share, this is the way to go.
- Configure manually: If you are sure about the health data you want to share, go for this option.
For better demonstration, I’m going to choose the “See Suggested Topics” option and let the Health app decide all the data I need to share with my friend, family member, or doctor.
6. Next, you can choose to notify your friend of important health alerts. According to your needs, enable/disable the toggles below the Suggestions section. Keep in mind that these alerts are not immediate and may take some time to appear on your friend’s iPhone.
7. On the Activity and mobility screen, enable/disable the toggles right next to the data you want (or don’t want) to share. Note that these data points can be very helpful in keeping an eye on overall fitness and recovery after injury/surgery.
8. Next, you will be directed to the Heart Health screen. Here, enable resting heart rate and walking average heart rate to share this data. It’s worth pointing out that these topics can be extremely helpful in keeping tabs on cardiovascular health.
9. Now enable/disable the toggles for headphone audio levels, mindful minutes, and sleep to give your friend a better view of your health.
10. Next, preview health data you’ve decided to share and tap “Share” to let your friend, family or doctor track your wellness on their iPhone or iPad.
11. The Health app will then send a Share invite to your friend. The invite will appear in your friend’s Health app. Health Sharing in iOS 15 will start as soon as your invitation is accepted. Tap “Done” to complete the setup process.
Note that you can set up health sharing with multiple people in iOS 15. If you want to share data with more people, go to the Tab “Sharing” and tap on “Add another person”. After that, follow the instructions explained above to share your data with them.
How to stop sharing your health data with someone
As I said above, you have full control over the health data you share in iOS 15. So depending on your needs, you can choose to add more items to share or stop sharing specific items. Also, if Health Sharing is no longer needed in iOS 15, you can turn it off completely.
- Open the Health app on your iPhone and move to the “ Sharetab ” .
2. Now, tap the person’s name with whom you share health data. You should see the list of topics you share with your friend or family. Scroll down and tap ” stop sharing“. That’s it. They will no longer be able to access your health data.
Use Health Sharing in iOS 15 to keep tabs on the well-being of family and friends
It is more or less that ! This is how you set up Health Sharing in iOS 15 in a few simple steps and securely share your health data with your family, friends or doctor. Now that you know how this health feature works, you can make the most of it to track the wellbeing of the people you care about.
iOS 15 is not about full customization like iOS 14 is. However, the latest version of iOS comes with a plethora of notable features including Apple Digital Legacy, Notification Digest, Safari Web Extensions, and more. Let me know your thoughts on iOS 15 and your favorite features. Also, share your thoughts on Health Sharing in the comments section below.