While we love shopping on Amazon and asking Alexa all kinds of questions, we rarely pay attention to how much user data Amazon collects behind the scenes. From browsing to purchase history to Alexa recordings, Amazon can easily create a target audience profile to track users across the web, which is quite overwhelming when it comes to privacy. So, if you want to boost your privacy on Amazon services, you have come to the right place. Here we explain several tutorials on how to regain control of your personal data on Amazon. So without further ado, let’s get started.
Strengthen your privacy on Amazon services
We have mentioned several ways to boost your privacy on various Amazon services. We also mentioned a way to improve the security of your Amazon account by enabling 2FA. For easy navigation, click on the link below and easily access the corresponding guide.
Enable two-factor verification (2FV) on Amazon
1. First, log in your Amazon account and go to ” Your accountin the “Account and Lists” menu. You can alternatively Click here to directly open the Account page.
2. Next, click on “ Login and Security“.
3. At the bottom, click on “Edit next to Two-Step Verification (2SV) Settings.
4. Here, click on “ To start“.
5. Now enter your mobile number and provide the single use code that you received on your phone number. From now on, you will be asked to enter a one-time code before logging in. In this way, not only your privacy, but security against fraudulent purchases will also be protected on Amazon.
Manage your public profile on Amazon
You might be surprised to find that Amazon creates a public profile for each account. It’s a lot like a social media profile, and if you’re not careful with your wishlists and shopping activities, you could put your data in the public domain. So, to manage your public Amazon profile, follow it.
1. Open “Your Account” and click on “Profile under “Order and Purchase Preferences”. You can also Click here to directly open the Profile page.
2. To hide your purchase history on Amazon, click on the 3-dot menu and choose ” Hide on my public profile“.
3. Similarly, in the left pane, make sure the wishlist is set to private.
4. Just in case, it’s public then click on wishlist and go to More -> Manage wishlist -> Privacy -> Set privacy to private.
5. Now, to check what your Amazon profile looks like on the web, click on “ See what others seeand check if you have put any personal information in the public domain.
6. If yes, click on “Edit your public profile” and make changes accordingly.
Stop Amazon from collecting your browsing history
1. Click this link to open the Recommendations page. Here, click on ” Manage history“.
2. Next, click on “Remove all items from view” to remove all your collected data. And if you want permanently disable browsing history on Amazon, then turn off the toggle.
Delete your Alexa voice recordings
1. You can delete Alexa voice recordings using the Amazon Alexa app on both Android (To free) and iOS (To free). So go ahead and install the app on your smartphone.
2. Next, log into your Amazon account and go to More -> Settings. Here, open ” Alexa Privacy“.
3. On this page, open “ Manage your Alexa data and enable “Automatically delete recordings”. You can also turn on the toggle to enable deleting voice recording by voice command.
4. Next, scroll down and disable “ Use of voice recordingsand “Use messages to improve transcripts”. This will ensure that Amazon doesn’t look into your personal messages and recordings that you sent through Alexa.
5. Finally, if you want delete all your Alexa voice recordings then go back and open “Review voice history”. Here, change the date filter to “All history” and tap on “Delete all my records”. You can also go through skill permissions to manage the permission of various Alexa skills.
Improve your privacy on Amazon services
This is how you can boost your privacy on Amazon services, whether it’s Alexa recordings or your browsing history on Amazon. I’m really surprised to find that so many privacy-related settings on Amazon are enabled by default, which should have an opt-in option in the first place.
Either way, go ahead and make the changes to take control of your data. If you face any problem, comment below and let us know. We will surely try to help you. Other than that, if you want to control your privacy, check out our in-depth guide and remove Google from your life.