Along with Shortcuts in macOS Monterey, the revamped Safari browser is probably the biggest highlight of Apple’s latest desktop OS update. While Apple’s Safari browser has always been feature-rich, it’s never been so intuitive before. Aside from the faster UI, Safari in macOS Monterey now features the long-awaited “tab groups” to let you organize tabs however you like. So, if you want to put an end to chaotic tab management, learn how to use tab groups in Safari on macOS Monterey.
How to Use Safari Tab Groups in macOS Monterey on Mac (2021)
Apple not only introduced tab groups in Safari for iOS 15, but also macOS Monterey. This means that all of your custom Safari tab groups will be synced across all devices, including Mac, iPhone, and iPad, linked to the same iCloud account. Plus, pair the seamless iCloud sync with the neat transfer feature, and you can pick up where you left off on another Apple device without any hassle.
Moreover, Safari also lets you move tabs to different tab groups and even lets you rearrange tabs by title and website. And if you ever decide to get rid of unwanted tabs from a tab group, you can do that too. That said, let’s dive in and learn how to use Safari tab groups in macOS 12 Monterey.
Create a tab group in Safari for macOS Monterey on Mac
- To get started, run the Safari app on your Mac.
2. Now click on the small down arrow located next to the sidebar icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
3. Next, select the ” New empty tab group” from the drop-down menu. Note that if you have any tabs open, you can click the ” New tab group with [X] Tabs” to group these Safari tabs on your macOS Monterey device.
To note: You can also click the sidebar icon and then press the button for the new tab group. After that, choose the “New Empty Tab Group” option.
4. Finally, give your Safari tab group an appropriate name, and you’re done!
It’s worth pointing out that you can create as many Safari tab groups on your Mac as you want. So, create a variety of groups to keep all tabs neatly organized.
Rename a Safari tab group in macOS Monterey
For a more personalized experience, you can also rename your tab groups in Safari to ensure they stay relevant to your needs. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Safari on your Mac.
2. Now click on the Sidebar icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
3. Next, right click on the tab group whose name you want to change, then select the ” Rename” optional.
4. Next, enter an appropriate name for your tab group in Safari on macOS Monterey.
Rearrange tab groups in Safari on macOS Monterey
- On your Mac, open Safari and click the button Sidebar icon which appears in the upper left corner of the screen.
2. Next, click and hold a group of tabs and drag it to the preferred location in the list. Pretty cool, isn’t it?
Drag Tab Groups in Safari to Reorder Them
Rearrange Tabs in a Safari Tab Group on macOS Monterey
- Open Safari on your Mac. After that, click and hold a tab, then drag it at the desired location in the tab group.
2. There is also an option to organize tabs by title and website. To do this, right-click on a tab and then choose the ” Organize tabs by” in the context menu. After that select Title or website.
Show all tabs in a Safari tab group in a grid on macOS Monterey
- Open Safari on your macOS device and click the Sidebar icon to access tab groups.
2. Now select the tab group whose tabs you want to display in a grid and click the grid icon next to the tab group name in Safari.
To note: You can also right-click on a group of tabs and select ” Show tab preview” for the grid view in Safari.
2. And this is what the grid view looks like for Safari tab groups:
Move tabs from one Safari tab group to another on Mac
- Open Safari on your Mac and right-click on the tab you want to move to another tab group. After that select the “ Move to tab group” optional.
2. Now you should see all of your tab groups. Choose the desired tab group. Here, if you select Start Page, the tab will be moved outside the tab group to the ungrouped tabs section.
Close tabs in a tab group in Safari on macOS Monterey
It’s quite easy to close tabs in a Safari tab group on Mac. So, if you ever want to keep unwanted tabs away, you can do so without breaking a sweat.
1. Open Safari on your macOS Monterey device and right click on a tab.
2. Now choose “ Close other tabs ” or ” Close tabs To the right” to close all other tabs except this one in the Safari tab group.
How to Delete a Safari Tab Group in macOS Monterey
- Launch Safari on your Mac then click on the Sidebar icon to view all of your personal tab groups.
2. Next, right-click on a group of tabs in Safari that you no longer want to use and choose the ” To delete” optional.
Use Safari Tab Groups in macOS 12 on Mac
That’s it! This is how you can use Safari tab groups on your Mac running macOS Monterey. Now that you know how the feature works, keep all your tabs organized for work, school, or any creative project with ease. And, of course, if you ever run into any issues, be sure to contact us for assistance. While macOS 12 isn’t as feature-rich as iOS 15, features like Apple Digital Legacy, FaceTime improvements, and better password management make it a modest upgrade. Did macOS Monterey live up to your expectations? Be sure to share your thoughts in the comments section below.