While iOS 15 has a plethora of super cool features, FaceTime has probably gotten the most attention. Whether it’s the revamped design, the thoughtful functionality to make a FaceTime call from iPhone to Android, or the exciting SharePlay feature that lets users watch movies together over FaceTime, the Apple’s video call looks set to compete with video conferencing services like Zoom and Google Meet. So, if you’re ready to start your movie-watching frenzy with your friends and loved ones, let’s learn how to watch movies together on FaceTime with SharePlay!
Use SharePlay in FaceTime to watch movies together
Especially when it comes to a brand new feature like Facetime SharePlay, dispelling doubts from the start is the way to go. So let’s see the basics first, then we can check the steps to watch movies together in a FaceTime call.
What is SharePlay and how does it work?
SharePlay is designed to allow users to listen to songs with Apple Music, share their screen, or watch movies and TV shows in sync during a FaceTime call. Through integrating application access from within the call itself, it enables real-time connections for seamless gaming. Thanks to the pretty neat shared playback controls, anyone on the video call can play, pause, or fast forward easily. Even better, SharePlay also extends to Apple TV to allow users to watch shows and movies on a big screen.
There’s nothing new about FaceTime SharePlay, as services like Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+ have long offered the co-watch feature. However, what gives Apple’s offering a leg up is the deep integration and ability to deliver seamless playback across all devices, including iPhone, iPad, and Mac. So Apple may be a little late for the party (as it always is), but it’s somehow nailed the co-watching feature unlike any other rival.
As the trend of watching movies and TV shows with family and friends virtually has become popular during the pandemic, Apple wants to take full advantage of the opportunity.
What services are supported by FaceTime SharePlay?
In addition to supporting Apple Music and Apple TV, SharePlay also works with several third-party video services through an API. Popular streaming services already integrated are listed below:
- HBO Max
- Pluto TV
- NBA Television
- ICT Tac
- Master class
Now, if you’re wondering: can you watch Netflix with friends on a FaceTime call? Well, unfortunately, Netflix does not support the FaceTime SharePlay feature yet. However, we expect the streaming giant to come to the fold sooner rather than later. Additionally, we expect Spotify to integrate the SharePlay API into its iOS app in the coming weeks.
Can Android and Windows users join your FaceTime Watch Party?
No they can’t! While Apple now lets iPhone users make FaceTime calls to their friends on Android and Windows, you can’t movies and TV shows with them.
“SharePlay is supported on iOS, iPadOS and macOS, and users can even integrate their Apple TV into the experience when they want to display content on a larger screen. » says the Cupertino giant on his Sharing API page.
Create and start a FaceTime Watch party
- Start the FaceTime app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Now press the Create a link to generate a standby link. Alternatively, you can tap “New FaceTime” and invite all your friends to a group video call.
3. Once the FaceTime watch party is created, press the “I” button located next to the shareable link in the “Coming Soon” section.
4. Next, select the ” share link” optional.
5. Next, the iOS share sheet will allow you to share the FaceTime Watch Party link through multiple channels including iMessage, WhatsApp, Messenger, SMS, Email, etc. You can choose the medium you want to invite your friends.
6. Now let your friends join the Watch Party. Be sure to let them in. Once they’ve all boarded, launch your favorite supported video streaming app. Then pick an exciting movie or show to watch together and boom! Oh yeah, be sure to bring popcorn so you can savor every moment of the show.
7. As I said above, FaceTime offers convenient shared controls so anyone on the call can easily play, pause, and forward. This can be especially useful if one of your friends needs to go to the bathroom, take their Uber Eats delivery, or answer an urgent call.
Enjoy FaceTime Watch Party using SharePlay
This is how you can create a watch party using FaceTime SharePlay and watch movies with your friends and loved ones. Now that you know how it works, we hope you make the most of it to improve your co-watching experience. As always, we dug into Apple’s latest iOS update to explore all the new features. So, if you are ready to catch up with more such cool features, be sure to check out what is breath rate on Apple Watch and how to use it and how to blur background in FaceTime video calls. Not to mention, there is also a way to download iOS 15 beta without a developer account.